Before & After - Adult bedroom
By no stretch was this room a relaxing, romantic or calming space to be in for a few minutes, let alone sleep in! So, finally, and after almost three years in the house we tackled the updating of our bedroom.
The room was full of mismatched furniture, a pretty awful carpet (only when we pulled it up did we discover it had been laid on newspaper) there were lilac curtains and blancmange pink wood chip walls to complete the look...
Our aim was to create a room that was tranquil, a place that we might actually want to spend some time in, plus with the looming extension in early 2018 I couldn't cope with our bedroom being utter chaos too!
After pouring over colour swatches we decided to paint the whole room from ceiling to skirting boards in the same French grey - hoping to create that tranquil haven we were craving. We chose Dulux and had the same colour mixed for the walls with a matt finish and egg shell for the skirting. We tracked down a Dulux Trade centre where we sourced the same shade in radiator paint too. I would totally do this again and really recommend it for a bedroom space. There is also much joy to be gained from not having to play the masking tape game!
We had a couple of immediate challenges with this room. Firstly because of the layout there was really only one place for the wardrobes to fit as the bed was going to stay where you see it in the picture below. We did a massive amount of research into the best solution. Luckily we could do most of this research while sat in the bed opposite the space!
On the opposite wall it seemed all that pesky woodchip was actually holding the wall up! Our amazing plasterer who did our hallway and landing was just about to finish a job and had a bit of time to squeeze in plaster boarding this wall and he skimmed the other walls too - total life saver.
I really don't recommend sleeping in a room where there is drying plaster. We only spent one night in there on the mattress before decamping downstairs to the front room.
No massive surprises here but the wardrobe dilemma was solved by Ikea. But we had fooled ourselves that the PAX system would work within the space. Well it could have done, as long as we didn't want to actually stand at the foot of the bed in front of the wardrobe and slide the doors open at the same time!
However, our tiny space problem was solved in an unexpected place - the Children's section and Ikea's modular Stuva system... We went Ikea for everything else too and our Family card saved us money on key items. Thank you Ikea!
We're lucky to have a fab curved bay in our bedroom so the only window solution was to go with shutters. Ever in the spirit of "of course we can do that ourselves" we went with the DIY option where you measure, submit the measurements and wait for your shutters to arrive. That's a very simplified summary! After some research looking at options including Sarah Beeny's company we went with DIY Shutters and I couldn't recommend their customer service (and product) enough.
Fitting the shutters was a pretty epic task, especially with the frames being uPVC and the need to leave a good amount of clearance for the window handles. The shutters come with frames that need assembling first, the shutters themselves come as complete items. There was a lot of marking out, then making starter holes using a bradawl, finally holding the frames in place to fit. Definitely a two-person job and much tea was needed.
With the French grey walls, soft grey carpet and white furniture our bedroom finally felt grown up and sophisticated. To finish off the room I claimed a bit of space for a dressing table - something I've always wanted.
The mirror came from a local auction, I picked up the table from Dunelm and other bits came from markets and online. We've added a lot of plants to the room to finish off corners and create little collections of foliage.
We got official room approval from the most discerning member of the family too..